We generally play all of our home games in one of three gyms:
The R. J. Grey Junior High School Gym (officially named the Arthur Blanchard Auditorium) was built in 1958 and has a wood floor. This gym is named after Arthur Blanchard who lived on Windsor Avenue in West Acton and pledged money to the town to build a combination gym/auditorium in Acton in the 1950’s (and should not be confused with the Luke and Jerusha Vose Memorial Blanchard Elementary School in Boxborough – named after Arthur’s parents). Prior to the high school being built, this was the High School gym. There are six baskets in this gym, all with glass backboards (the four side court backboards were replaced with glass in July 2017). There are bleachers on both sides of this gym. There is one wall mounted scoreboard in this gym on the east side of the main court.
The Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Lower Gym (officially named the Isadore Stearns Gymnasium – Ms. Stearns was a longtime teacher and coach at Acton-Boxborough and was also the first female Athletic Director in Massachusetts) has a wood floor. Many people think this gym has the best court surface for basketball games. When the high school was first built, this was the main gym for the high school. There are six baskets in this gym, all backboards are glass (the four side court backboards were replaced with glass in June 2018). There are bleachers on one side of the gym (as such, this gym has the lowest seating capacity). There is one wall mounted scoreboard in this gym at center court.
The Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Fieldhouse / Upper Gym (officially named the Thomas J. Regan Fieldhouse – Mr. Regan was the Chairman of the School Committee who spearheaded this facility being built in the mid 1970’s) has a rubber floor. This was an addition to the high school and when completed, this became the “main” gym. There are six baskets in this gym, the two baskets on the main court are glass while the four square side court backboards are aluminum. There are bleachers on both sides of the gym. There are two wall mounted scoreboards that are interlinked with each other on the East and West sides of the court.
While we play our games in these three gyms, we will also hold practices at the Parker Damon School, Blanchard Elementary in Boxborough, and occasionally Conant Elementary and Gates Elementary.
The Elm Street Courts (officially named the Paul Cartwright Courts) are two outdoor courts on Elm Street near Douglas School in Acton. There are four baskets on these courts with glass backboards. These courts are made of a composite material consisting mostly of recycled tires. These courts are used for summer basketball only and are free for the general public to play on anytime Douglas School is not in session during daylight hours. There are benches for the teams to sit on however there is no additional seating here. There is no scoreboard for these courts and they are not lit at night. These courts were formally named after the legendary Paul Cartwright in 2015, who was a Founder and Director of Acton-Boxborough Travel Basketball Program and refereed many games on these courts. The photo on the right is of the courts in their original state shortly before we replaced them in May 2006.